Cedar Strip Kayak Building: It's a Power Build Day!
March 09, 2006
Last night: Took a saw to the kayak and with the help of a few strategically placed whacks with a hammer I separated the deck and hull. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but it worked! They separated cleanly without any damage to the fiberglass, and only a small bruise on my hand.
I had today off so I had a big block of time.
This morning: Made some spacers out of strips and hot glued them into place to maintain the hull shape while I whacked out the station forms. I used a metal ruler and square to carefully direct the pounding at the edge of the forms. It takes several strong whacks to get the hot glue to separate. The hardest part was getting the stems out. I ended up taking the hot gun and blasting some heat in the corners for a few seconds to get the glue to soften. Then I carefully pried them up and out. Now the hardest parts are over! All the other steps in making this kayak involve techniques I'm familiar with -- sanding, epoxywork, glassing. So it's all downhill from here.
Next I scraped the interior of the hull, removing all the pieces of glue and high spots. Then I sanded it all down, first with the random orbital sander, and then by hand. I know no one is going to look inside the ends but I still feel like I have to get it smooth. It still needs more sanding but I stopped because I hate sanding. It's the most unpleasant part of strip building. That's a lot of progress in one day!